Healthy Skin Habit OD: Too Much of a Good Thing?
You wear sunscreen every day, exfoliate regularly, and never go to sleep with your makeup on. Still seeing troubled skin? It’s true: some healthy skin habits are too much of a good thing.
Taking good care of your skin and using healthy products is key in maintaining beautiful skin. But overdoing it can damage skin, cause irritation and blemishes, and speed up aging.
Let’s take a look at the top healthy skin care habits women tend to overdo.
6 Healthy Skin Habits You May Be ODing On
1. Over-cleansing: Didn’t know you could get skin too clean? Using a foaming cleanser has definite benefits, but using this product on skin that is dry or sensitive leads to dryness, irritation, and even breakouts. Curb your sudsing by washing skin only when it actually needs it (post workout, when it feels greasy…) and use a cream or oil cleanser the rest of the time.
2. Over-exfoliating: Another skin care technique that tends to get overused is exfoliation. We’ve all heard that this step helps with acne, and keeps skin fresh and glowing. More than once per week (twice if skin is not sensitive) is overkill, and can irritate and damage skin. The best way to exfoliate the face is with non-abrasive fruit acids, which remove dead cells without abrasive granules.
3. Using the wrong healthy skincare: Yes, going nontoxic with your skincare is the healthiest choice. But if you are using skincare that is wrong for your skin type it can be causing problems. If you are experiencing dryness, zits, irritation, or excessive oiliness, chances are you are using the wrong skin care products. Choose skin care designed for your skin type.
4. Going oil-free: For those who battle oily skin, steering clear of excess oil is essential in keeping the complexion clear. But did you know drying out the skin leads to breakouts too? That dry, flaky layer traps the oil your skin creates naturally and causes pimples. Choose products made with healthy natural oils that are formulated for oily and acne prone skin types, and skip the super drying potions.
5. Sticking with your tried and true: So you’ve found the skin care products you love and they love your skin right back. Great! Do you find they don’t work quite as well some months as others? To keep skin balanced and happy year ‘round, switch up your routine for the seasons. It doesn’t have to be a drastic overhaul, but a bit more moisture in the winter and lighter products in summer make all the difference.
6. Using chemical sunscreen: Wear sunscreen daily. We’ve all heard this precaution a thousand times. And you are applying your moisturizer with SPF every day like a good girl. But if that product is made with nasty chemical sunscreens you are doing more harm than good. Opt for a safe mineral sunscreen for face. You can even use a tinted moisturizer and ditch your foundation.
Related on EcoSalon:
Image of woman looking in mirror via Shutterstock