Eco-Friendly Fireplace Ideas Perfect for the Holidays
Fireplaces are traditionally symbolic, conjuring up memories of togetherness, warmth, and holiday customs, especially during the fall and winter months. Their mantels are the perfect backdrops for festive garlands and their ledges just right for family photos. And whether you already have a fireplace in your home or you’re interested in acquiring one of these units, with the rampant health hazards of the customary hearth, an eco-friendly fireplace is one we strongly encourage you to consider.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the smoke from wood burning fireplaces is made up of gasses and fine particles, also known as particulate matter. The microscopic particles have the ability to get into your eyes and lungs where they can cause health problems including burning eyes, runny nose, and bronchitis.
Furthermore, on top of particle pollution, the EPA believes that wood smoke also contains toxic chemicals such as benzene, formaldehyde, acrolein, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Exposure to these toxins creates a host of problems, especially in individuals with preexisting conditions, like asthma and heart disease. Believe it or not, the chemicals in the smoke are harsh and distressing enough to cause death due to exacerbation of certain illnesses.
Fortunately, though, you don’t have to swear off sipping hot cocoa by the fire forever because now you can have the same ambiance and look without the accompanying health hazards or hassle. EcoSmart Fire is on the cutting edge of eco-friendly fireplace design and installation. Not only do these units generate heat, but they are also fuelled by bioethanol, which, according to the website, is “a renewable liquid fuel produced from agricultural by-products which burns clean – no smoke, no sparks, no fuss.”
In addition to creating some visually stunning fireplaces from the EcoSmart Fire product line, you can also easily convert your existing hearth with very little effort. The smokeless fireplaces are designed for homeowner installation, do not produce any soot or embers, and don’t require ventilation – it seriously doesn’t get much better than this!
1. Outdoor EcoSmart Fireplaces – Bust out the vegan marshmallows and veggie dogs, because now you have the environmentally friendly answer to your future outdoor parties. Go wild in the great outdoors, or at least your own backyard with these beautiful fireplaces designed to be free of gas lines, wood, embers, and smoke. Choose one or several of these units to add ambiance and sophistication to your patio, by your pool, or under the gazebo.
2. Grate Fireplaces – Drinking eggnog by the fire is so close we can practically taste it! These fireplace grates present a quick and simple way to convert your existing hearth into a safe, healthy, and beautiful focal point just in time for the holidays. The fireplace grate is nontoxic so it can be used with or without an operational chimney. And if you want more space heating efficiency, then all you need to do is close the dampener or block the chimney with a metal plate.
3. Designer Fireplaces – From ultra-modern to eclectic, it’s possible for these fireplaces to work within a range of décor styles, especially considering the product’s versatility and sleek appearance. So if you prefer predesigned fireplaces, then check out EcoSmart Fire’s designer range that the company claims is as simple to install as opening the box.
4. Custom Fireplaces – In addition to the suggestions already listed, homeowners also have the option to take things one step further and design their own fireplace. The selection of bioethanol burners and fireplace inserts are exactly what you’ll need to help your creation come to life. Whether it’s for your home, your porch, or even your business, this is the simple and practical way to maintaining ambiance throughout the holidays and all year long.
5. Fireplace Accessories – Don’t forget your accessories! Create the illusion of weightlessness and transparency with the plasma, wind, and ghost fire screens. They are beautiful additions to your new EcoSmart Fire fireplace décor and allow you to get excellent views of the flames as they dance about.
Now that you’ve gotten the lowdown on the negative consequences that arise from traditional wood burning fireplaces, we want to know what you think about our post. Are you ready to invest in one of these heat generating hearths? Or would you rather continue on with the old-fashioned method of burning wood? Why or why not? Let us know your thoughts on the EcoSalon Facebook page!
Related on EcoSalon
Image of Fireplace via Shutterstock
The post Eco-Friendly Fireplace Ideas Perfect for the Holidays appeared first on EcoSalon.