Choose a Good Cause to Support as a Gift Alternative This Holiday Season
Choose to opt-out of the consumerism of the holiday season by supporting a good cause.
Instead of shopping at the mall this holiday season, use your dollars to support a good cause in the names of your giftees. It’s the thought that counts, right? So, make it really count by supporting a good cause that you most identify with, or to try to match up your gift list with a good cause that they can support.
A note: Don’t just take our word for it. Whenever choosing a charity, make sure to visit Charity Navigator, Charity Watch, or other charity rating sites for the low-down before donating to your good cause.
- Nothing But Nets – Support this global grassroots campaign to fight malaria, a leading cause of death among children in many parts of the world. The group’s goal is to distribute as many mosquito nets as possible in the fight to stop malaria deaths.
- Kiva – Kiva is a micro-lending nonprofit with a mission of connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the power of the Internet, Kiva connects individuals with the ability to lend (as little as $25) to help support and create entrepreneurial opportunities around the world.
- Planned Parenthood – Planned Parenthood provides reproductive health care, sex education, and information for women and men worldwide. Its work promotes a commonsense approach to women’s health and well-being, based on respect for each individual’s right to make informed, independent decisions about health, sex, and family planning.
- Starkey Hearing Foundation – The Starkey Hearing Foundation provides support to children and adults around the world who have disabling hearing loss (according to the World Health Organization, that accounts for more than 360 million people worldwide). The Starkey Hearing Foundation has worldwide initiatives to help people afford hearing aids and get access to the care they need.
- Heifer International – Heifer International’s mission is to work with communities to end world hunger and poverty and to care for the environment in a sustainable manner. It empowers communities and bring sustainable agriculture and commerce to areas with long histories of poverty.
- National Public Radio – Support the non-commercial news and programming of public radio by donating to your local NPR station. Donations by individuals account for the largest share of NPR’s revenues–as much as 34 percent in 2013.
- Meals on Wheels – Meals on Wheels provides both meals and company to seniors and others who may have lost mobility as a result of age or illness. Nationally, Meals on Wheels provides over 2.5 meals for seniors. You can choose to give to the national organization, Meals on Wheels America, or support a local provider of meals for direct impact in your community.
- Highland Titles – Support land conservation in Scotland and give the gift of the title of “Lady” or “Laird” with a donation to the Highland Titles. The motto is “conserving Scotland one square mile at a time.”
- Feeding America – Help stamp out hunger in America by supporting Feeding America, a nationwide network of food banks and the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Feeding America serves over 46 million people annually with local food programs.
- Farm Sanctuary – Finally, Farm Sanctuary’s mission is to protect farm animals from cruelty, inspire change in the way society views and treats farm animals, and promote compassionate vegan living.
Related on EcoSalon
The post Choose a Good Cause to Support as a Gift Alternative This Holiday Season appeared first on EcoSalon.