7 Sensational Cherry Recipes for all the (Remaining) Days of Summer
Cherry recipes you won’t tire of…ever.
For most locations, cherry season is in full swing from late spring to early summer, or roughly May through July. Of course, this depends your local growing season (and then any variations to the season as a result of changes in the weather year to year). No matter where you live, cherries are often available for you-pick, meaning the limit to how much you can enjoy cherries is proportional to how much you can pick from a farm! And while we all love to eat sweet cherries right out of the basket (after washing them thoroughly), you just may want to make one or more of these cherry recipes with your haul once you get it home.
So far, I haven’t yet seen cherries at my local farmers market, but I am planning on checking out the local orchard just down the street. And this year, I have a plan to use up all the juicy, sweet (or sour) cherries instead of just popping them into my mouth one after the other after the other…
Cherry Recipes to Savor the Cherry Goodness
1. Maraschino Cherries – Homemade maraschino cherries beat out the store bought versions hands down and make for a real showstopper in homemade cocktails or topping homemade desserts. They are made with sour cherries, so be on the lookout for those.
2. Cherry Barbecue Sauce – Sweet cherries make for a wonderful addition to barbecue sauce. The sweetness of the cherries can add another layer of flavor and help temper the heat from any peppers or spices you add.
3. Cherry Hand Pies – Hand pies are way easier to make than regular pies–and they are just as tasty. No need to worry about making things look pretty. Hand pies are also way more portable, which makes them ideal for picnics and cookouts.
4. Cherry Galette – A galette is another pie alternative. A gallate is nothing more than a more rustic and less fussy pie. A serving also works as a wonderful vehicle for a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
5. Cherry Sangria – This sangria recipe calls for sweet cherries and Cherry Herring, which is a super sweet cherry-flavored liqueur. You could even add peaches for a super summery treat.
6. Roasted Cherry Coconut Ice Cream – Just when you though cherry ice cream couldn’t get any better. This recipe, which incorporates both coconut and fresh roasted cherries, is simply divine.
7. Cherry Preserves – Finally, to make your cherries last past the season consider making cherry preserves. Not only can you use it on toast but it works well on top of oatmeal, yogurt, and ice cream.
Related on EcoSalon
The post 7 Sensational Cherry Recipes for all the (Remaining) Days of Summer appeared first on EcoSalon.