5 Weird Cosmetic Ingredients That Actually Work
Ok. We are not talking putting placenta or urine on your face, here. But there are some pretty strange cosmetic ingredients out there. Find out which are worth it and where to save your hard earned cash.
Some women (and men, for that matter) would do almost anything to stay young looking and gorgeous. But how far down on the weird ingredient scale are you willing to go for great skin?
5 Weird (but Wonderful) Cosmetic Ingredients for Healthy Skin
1. Charcoal: Not new to the beauty scene, but some may still have trouble seeing it as part of their skincare routine. Activated charcoal (charcoal infused with oxygen) is the type used in skincare. It is super absorbent and very good at drawing impurities out of the skin, making it an ideal choice for those dealing with acne. It also tightens skin and reduces inflammation, which is why you’ll see it in anti-aging products. Osmia Organics Detox Exfoliating Mask, One Love Organics The Cleansing Sponge: Bamboo Charcoal Heart, May Lindstrom Skin The Problem Solver
2. Fermented ingredients: Yes, probiotics are all the rage right about now. And for good reason. They tone down inflammation and have antibacterial properties. They’ve also been shown to create a barrier on skin that blocks dirt and bacteria, helping to prevent breakouts. Obvi, these ingredients are great for acne and premature aging. The Beauty Chef Probiotic Skin Refiner, One Love Organics Oh Mega Calming Chia Oil, Marie Veronique Redness Relief Serum, Marie Veronique Pre + Probiotic Daily Mist
3. Bamboo: Why on earth would you ever need bamboo in cosmetics? Bamboo extract and powder are ultra-absorbent, and often added to natural deodorants and facial powders to help soak up wetness. These fibers also work in haircare to help pump up the volume. Briogeo Hair Care Be Gentle, Be Kind Sulfate Free Shampoo, One Love Organics Healthy Locks Dry Shampoo Powder, ILIA Beauty Fade Into You Finishing Powder
4. Dead Sea Mud: Mud is just mud, right? Nope. Mud from the Dead Sea is high in minerals and vital nutrients that carry oxygen to skin cells, improving tone and elasticity, promoting a youthful appearance. It is also excellent for drawing toxins out of the skin, and calms acne and other irritated skin conditions. Osmia Organics Black Clay Facial Soap, B Leaf Botanics Revive Dead Sea Mud Mask
5. Salt: We may use it most days, but on our skin? Yep. Sea salt is rejuvenating, toning down inflammation and softening dry or rough skin. It is also another skin detoxifier and boosts circulation, boosting glow factor. Aster & Bay Bathing Salts Clary Sage + Grapefruit, Earth Tu Face Dead Sea Salt Scrub, Earth Tu Face Rosemary + Salt Lotion
*Disclaimer: Help support EcoSalon! Our site is dedicated to helping people live a conscious lifestyle. We’ve provided some affiliate links above in case you wish to purchase any of these products.
Related on EcoSalon
Image of surprised woman via Shutterstock